Quote of the Moment

This is what the past is for! Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see." Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Blast Off

Our family was a bit spontaneous last night and at the last moment we decided to head out to Kennedy Space Center to watch the night launch of the shuttle Endeavor. We left right after I got home from work and landed ourselves in crazy traffic. A trip that typically would take just under an hour took just over 2 hours! But my was it worth it!!!

This picture is right after ignition - before that the it was pitch black with the exception of the moon. We were about 15 miles away from the launch pad, but even from that distance we could hear it...sorry for not having video, but this will give you great opportunity to practice making your own shuttle launching sounds. Perhaps you should also have pound your chest so that you can get the full effect!


The top ball is the moon, and the bright ball by the tree is the shuttle.

Now the shuttle has passed the moon and so the top bright spot is the shuttle.
Honestly, while I like pictures, I must say that they just don't do the experience justice. It was an awesome sight! This was the last scheduled night launch for NASA and I am so glad we were able to go see it!

5 comments:

Wilde Things said...

Very cool!! We all ready have tickets to come to Cocoa Beach in May. It is scheduled around a shuttle launch, so we hope weather is good. Tyler totally wants to be an astronaut when he grows up.
I'm glad you went, how fun!

Maria said...

Hey Samantha -- that was probably an awesome sight to behold. Crazy you could hear and feel it from 15 miles away! thanks for sharing!

Melaina and Ben said...

Oh my gosh! I love it!! I totally want to be there so bad! We are gonna try to come soon really really! I would LOVE to and I know Ben would too!

Emily said...

How cool! I would love to see that!

Quinn said...

What a fund evening. How very cool.
I love how you describe things too.