Quote of the Moment

This is what the past is for! Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see." Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hard Lesson

The past couple of months we have had several conversations with Samuel about having to do things that we don't want to do.  Some times these things make us uncomfortable and can even hurt a little.  Samuel's daily treatment is uncomfortable.  We, meaning all of us, don't like doing it, but we all are grateful for the results so it is worth that few minutes of discomfort.

Today he had his check up with the pediatrician.  There were 5 vaccinations that Samuel could have gotten, but the doctor and I felt no need to do them all at once.  We did 3 of them, and will do the next 2 when Samuel turns five.  Samuel wasn't happy that he was going to be pinched (that is what he calls it when he gets shots or has lab work) and after he got the shots he wasn't sure if he was ever going to be able to use his legs again!   (I am happy to report that he is back to running, jumping, and doing all the activities he wants to do.) But this again put us in the conversation that sometimes we have to do things that we may not want to do, but we know that they will help us.   It is a good lesson to learn and am sure that it is good to learn early in life, but poor guy, when does he have to learn this lesson so young? 
He is a good boy, and he is strong.  I used to think that his cries were heart breaking, but today I learned again that it is even more heart breaking when I can tell that he wants to cry and is trying to force himself to hold back the tears. That is what happened later and I held out my arms for him.  He came to me, buried his face in my neck and just let it all out.  I did the only thing I could, I hugged him and I cried too!

No comments: