Quote of the Moment

This is what the past is for! Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see." Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place

Friday, July 6, 2012

Grandma Charlene

This morning, after Samuel's doctor appointment I spoke with my dad on the phone and when I hung up the following conversation ensued:

Samuel (S): Who were you talking to on the telephone?
Me: Grandpa Sam
S: "Is that your dad?"
Me:  Yup
S: Where is your mom?
A few moments of silence as I pull over to the side of the road and try to stop tears....really, it has been 19 years, but sometimes it just hits me.
S: Mom, I said, where is your mom?
Me: She died when I was a little girl
S: And then she came back?
Me:  Nope, when people die they don't come back.  They go to live in Heaven with Heavenly Father.
S: Is she at the police station?
Me: No
S: Why did she die?
Me: She got sick
S: Did she go to the doctor?
Me: Yes, but she got so sick and the doctors couldn't help her.
S: Tell me all about your mom died.
Me:  Well, she got sick and her body couldn't get better.  So soon she stopped breathing and her heart stopped beating.
S: BUT YOU NEED YOUR MOM!
Me:  I agree little buddy.
S: Tell me all about your mom
Me:  She was a wonderful mom.  She loved to play games and do art. She liked to go outside and to watch movies together.
S: I like to do all of those things too
Me:  Yup.  I think that you and Grandma Charlene would have had so much fun together.  Grandma Charlene would have loved you so much.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

This made me tear up... how sweet and sad

Melaina and Ben said...

I just read this and of course I am bawling!! :) love you so much and think you are one of the best people!!